This is a short lecture given as part of a Sendai JALT meeting (the Extensive Reading Colloquium) in January 2014. It was held at the Tohoku University Library.
Here is the ER Program Design handout that accompanies this talk.
Five local teachers also talked about their ER programs according to a common template. They answered the questions below:
- Where is ER placed in your curriculum?
- What is the disposition of faculty/administration towards ER?
- How many students/classes are doing ER?
- What are the goals of the program? Who sets them? How are they evaluated/revised?
- How do you measure student achievement? Is there any follow up after a student completes the program?
- What system do you have set up to order and manage books? How many books do you have at what levels?
- What is the future of ER at your institution?
I’m afraid my video camera died during the panel session so I don’t have a video of that. I would also like to apologize to Dom -you’re just too tall, mate 😉
Thanks to everyone that presented and attended, and especially to Sendai JALT for organizing the meeting: I think we all learned a lot.